The Players – that certain club – was founded in 1888 by actor Edwin Booth. Two of the first three presidents were Lambs, John Drew and Joseph Jefferson. A Gramercy Park brownstone was transformed into a clubhouse by Lamb Stanford White, who designed The Lambs’ clubhouse on 44th Street. Over the years The Lambs and The Players have shared an affectionate friendly rivalry, with members who belong to both clubs. Together we share the formation of Actors’ Equity: many Equity founders were Lambs who met in secret at The Players, as there were too many producer members wandering the halls at The Lambs who did not want the union to form.