No history of The Lambs ® would be complete without reference to the Club’s charitable work and its response to community needs, whereas mention must be made to the Percy William’s Home, Winchell Smith, and The Lambs Foundation.
Percy Williams, once the treasurer of The Lambs, is remembered for his great generosity. By his request, the handsome Williams Estate in East Islip, Long Island, along with ample funds to maintain it, was established as a Home for actors and actresses in advanced years. Terms of his will required that six members of The Lambs and six members of the Actors’ Fund of America be elected to supervise the operation of the Home. Eventually the home merged in The Actors’ Fund of America.
Winchell Smith, nephew of the eminent actor and author William Gillette, was himself a successful actor, playwright and producer. In the latter field he was long associated with the late John Golden (an Immortal Lamb). At his death in 1933 it was disclosed that Smith had left a lasting memorial to his name, as well as a perpetual source of benevolence to his fellow Lambs, the Winchell Smith Trust Fund. Learn more about Winchell Smith.
The Lambs Relief Foundation was formed in 1943 as a charity organized under the laws of the State of New York (then called the Servicemen Morale Corps). Supported by donations, it dispenses funds for the benefit of the needy, sick or destitute members of the entertainment profession. By action of the 1961-62 Board the corporate name was changed to The Lambs Foundation, and its purview was expanded to include the support of theatrical organizations, education and development of new works of theater and emerging talent.
The Lambs Foundation is very active today, supported in part by a bequest by Frederick Loewe’s estate, and by various private donations. The Foundation benefits many theatrical charities, educational programs and non-profit theatre companies. Recipients have included The Actors’ Fund of America, the Episcopal Actors’ Guild, Tony Randall’s National Theater, The Pearl Theater Company, Circle-In-The-Square, Women in the Arts and Media Coalition, the Manhattan Theatre Company, the Theatre Hall of Fame, St. Clare’s Hospital, The Oberon Theater Ensemble, the York Theater, the Vineyard Theater, The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s NY Actors Center, The Utopia Opera Company, En Garde Arts, the GI Film Festival, the Outer Critics Circle, the NY Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center, the NYS Writer’s Hall of Fame, the Theater World Awards and several universities and theater conservatories.
In 1992 The Lambs Foundation was recognized for it’s work with a Jack Dempsey Humanitarian Award from St. Clare’s Hospital and Health Center in New York City. A chair in the National Theater, Washington DC, commemorates our foundation.
For more information please contact us at (212) 586-0306, or E-mail us. The Lambs Foundation gladly accepts donations, which are fully tax-deductible as provided by law (please check with your tax advisor), not only for continuing its mission, but for the restoration of its archives and art work – persons may ‘adopt’ a painting by accepting the cost of its restoration, and a plaque honoring their donation will be placed near that painting. Consider a donation! This spring the Foundation will begin a fundraising campaign for a new piano, starting with a benefit performance by Lamb Rosa Antonelli, internationally renown concert pianist. Check back for the details!
The Lambs Foundation is not connected in any way to other similarly named charities, such as ‘Friends of the Lambs’, or ‘The Lamb Foundation’, The Lambs Foundation, Inc., was formed in 1943 in New York State and is recognized as a 501(c)(3) Non profit organization.
Marc Baron, President
Scott Glascock, Vice-President
Peter Kingsley, Secretary
John Bowes, Treasurer
Terry Wells, Curator
Vivienne Gilbert, Director
Bruce Brown, Ex-Shepherd (Advisor)